Baseball America released their annual Phillies top ten prospects list this morning with nine of the players on the list having played with the BlueClaws at one point in their careers and six of them having won championships with the BlueClaws.
1. Trevor May (2009-10): May won two titles with Lakewood, was named the Phillies Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2011 when he fanned 208 hitters with Clearwater.
2. Jesse Biddle (2011): The Phillies first round pick in 2010 had the best ERA in the Sally League in the 2nd half of this season and finished 7-8, 2.98 with 124 strikeouts in 133 innings.
3. Sebastian Valle (2009-10): Played the first half of 2009 with Lakewood and returned for the playoffs but had a starring role in 2010, including hitting the game-winning home run in the championship clincher. This year, Valle hit .284 with 5 home runs with Clearwater.
4. Jonathan Pettibone (2010): He had a 2.3 ERA with Lakewood from mid-June on last year as one of their steadiest pitchers on the championship team. This year with Clearwater, Pettibone picked up where he left off, pitching to a 2.96 ERA despite a 10-11 record.
5. Phillippe Aumont: Aumont was acquired in the December, 2009 Cliff Lee trade. He had a 2.7 ERA splitting the season between Reading and Lehigh Valley and will have a chance to make the big league bullpen out of spring training.
6. Freddy Galvis (2008): The slick-fielding shortstop had his best offensive season this year, hitting .273 with Reading and .298 with Lehigh Valley. He will probably start 2011 in Lehigh Valley again but with Jimmy Rollins a free agent, he would be considered a top internal candidate if Rollins departs.
7. Justin De Fratus (2009): De Fratus has blossomed since moving full-time to the bullpen in the last two years and made his big league debut in September. He went from Clearwater to Reading in 2010 and Reading to Lehigh Valley in 2011. He’ll have every chance to be in the Phillies Opening Day bullpen next year.
8. Brody Colvin (2010): Colvin thrived with Lakewood in 2010, pitching to a 3.39 ERA (low 2s after mid-May) but had a 4.71 ERA with Clearwater this year. He was passed on this list by May and Pettibone from their placing last year.
9. Jiwan James (2010): Lakewood’s every-day centerfielder on the 2010 championship team, James went to Clearwater this year and had a solid season, hitting .268 with 31 stolen bases. He’ll go to Reading in 2012.
10. Maikel Franco (2011): Just 18 for most of the season, Franco played with Williamsport and joined the BlueClaws for three weeks in August.
Domonic Brown had been the top prospect each of the last three years, but is no longer eligible. Carlos Carrasco was the top prospect on this list the two years before that.