Yesterday, we passed along the annual Baseball America top 100 prospects rankings, a list which contained three former and one future BlueClaw. The future BlueClaw on that list is Roman Quinn, a shortstop who will likely be Lakewood’s Opening Day (April 4th is 43 days away!) SS and lead-off hitter.
In the scouting reports that accompanied the BA rankings, they pass along player ratings along the 20-80 scouting scale, with 80 being the best.
We noted in our write-up of Quinn that he was given a speed rating of 80, which made us curious as to the numbers of 80s handed out. Here are the players on the list who received a rating of 80 in one category.
- RHP Gerrit Cole, #7 overall, Pirates – 80 fastball
- 3B Miguel Sano, #8 overall, Twins – 80 power
- CF Byron Buxton, #10 overall, Twins – 80 speed
- OF/SS Billy Hamilton, #20 overall, Reds – 80 speed
- RHP Bruce Rondon, #95 overall, Tigers – 80 fastball
- SS Roman Quinn, #100 overall, Phillies – 80 speed
That’s the list. Six players. Cole was the #1 overall pick in 2011 by the Pirates. Sano is a top Twins prospect who signed for over $3 million out of the Dominican Republic. Buxton was the #2 overall pick in the 2012 draft. Hamilton stole 155 bases in 2012 between Hi-A and AA. Finally, Rondon is expected to contend for the closer’s role this year with the Tigers.